MX500 Digital Magnetometer.
The MX500 Digital Magnetometer is our latest design of marine
proton precession magnetometer which uses one of the new generation
of ultra low power microprocessors to create an active tow-fish. The
magnetometer consists of a tow-fish, a Control unit and display software.
The tow-fish can be supplied with various lengths of cable up to 150 metres. The Control unit
is housed in a small aluminium box and provides the
interface between the tow-fish and the PC. It has connections for
interfacing data from a
GPS and an echo sounder, this data is then combined with the magnetometer
transmitted to the PC over one COM port. The software application MXSurvey II runs on a standard PC or laptop
running Windows and displays the
data in graphical form while simultaneously storing
it to memory. The data can be saved to hard disc for analysis later.
- Digital telemetry for robust operation in the presence of other electrical
- Built in depth sensor indicting depth of tow-fish.
- Tow cable with Kevlar strain member allows depressor weight to be attached
directly to the cable for deep tow surveys.
- Echo sounder interface allows graphical display of tow-fish and seabed
depth on a PC.
- Worldwide tuning option.
- Large omi-directional toriodal sensor, plus the ability to rotate the
sensor inside the tow-fish to obtain maximum signal output throughout the
- PC displays graphically the magnetic deviation, seabed depth, tow-fish
depth and boat's position all on one screen.
- Full data logging plus real time rewind to see anomalies that have
scrolled off screen.
- Overlay known features on plotter chart, specials symbols for anchors,
cannons, fisherman's snags etc.
- PC computes tow-fish position from the boat's GPS position, coarse,
layback and tow-fish depth.
- Define on screen Survey Grids to maximise the chance of detection. Lanes
just a few metres wide can be defined.
- Export magnetic data or seabed depth data to 3D software drawing packages
for better visualisation
MX500 Digital Dual Sensor Magnetometer.
The MX500 Digital Dual Sensor magnetometer system allows two tow-fish to be
controlled simultaneously from one control unit. By towing the two fish out on
booms, it is possible to increase the detection swathe significantly. The
magnetometer consists of two tow-fish, each one is supplied with various
lengths of cable up to 150 meters, a Control unit and display software. The Control unit provides the
interface between the two tow-fish and the PC, it also connects data from a
GPS and an echo sounder to the PC. All data is transferred to the PC using
just one COM port. Our survey software package MXSurvey II displays the
data in graphical form on the PC screen while simultaneously storing
it to memory. The data can be saved to hard disc for analysis later. The
advantage of the dual
magnetometer system is that it makes it possible to identify small
magnetic anomalies that could
easily be missed using a single magnetometer system. In addition, temporal
diurnal variations in the Earth's magnetic field caused by the sun can be easily
identified and are not misinterpreted as possible targets. The dual system can
be used in gradiometer mode with the tow-fish run side by side, inline or one
above the other.
- All of the benefits of the MX500 Digital Magnetometer technology.
- Built in depth sensors indicting depth of both tow-fish
- PC can display graphically the magnetic deviation from each tow-fish
simultaneously, or as the difference (gradiometer) thus allowing the magnetometer
to be used more effectively in areas containing magnetic rock.
- PC computes each tow-fish position from the boat's GPS defined position, coarse
- Tow-fish can be towed side by side to increase the detection swathe
reducing survey time.
- No false targets due to temporal dirunal changes in the earth's
New Features added for 2008
- Autopilot control for steering precise survey grids.
- Optimum turning circle displayed on plotter when turning at the end of
each grid lane.
- Cable termination coupling so that depressor force is applied correctly to cable.
- Survey boxes can be displayed on plotter to show areas already surveyed.
Professional version of MX500 Digital Magnetometer.
Customers have been asking for a version of the MX500 magnetometer that can
be used with industry standard survey software. In 2012 Planet Electronics Ltd
launched the Professional version of the MX500 Digital magnetometer system.
This version computes the magnetic field in the tow-fish and outputs it to a PC
as an NMEA ASCII character based sentence that is compatible with third party software. In addition,
the professional version now has finer increments of the amplifier gain than the
standard MX500 to provide better performance when used worldwide. The precession
signal amplitude is also displayed while surveying to enable better monitoring of the
New Features added for 2012
- New Professional version launched with interface to industry standard
- Professional version displays and records precession signal amplitude while surveying.
- Finer digital gain increments for worldwide tuning
A low cost cable drum is available for cables longer than 50 metres. The
cable drum is made of plastic so is ideal for use at sea. The cable on the
drum terminates in a connector mounted on the spindle so that just the right
amount of cable is paid out for each survey, the remainder remains on the
drum. See our Accessories page for details.